Tax Preparation Assistance for Nonresident Aliens -
GLACIER Tax Prep
The JHU Tax Office has purchased a license for GLACIER Tax Prep which is a Federal tax preparation software for Nonresident Alien (NRA) Students and Scholars. It is a product of Arctic International, LLC, a third party vendor.
GLACIER Tax Prep is software designed to assist NRA's in completing their federal income tax return only. It is a secure web-based tax preparation system specifically designed to help NRA's complete the U.S. federal income tax return form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR. The step-by-step instructions will help you determine if you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes.
NRA's who receive US source income need to file a federal income tax return using form
1040NR-EZ or form 1040NR. While these forms cannot be submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) electronically, they can be prepared electronically and printed.
JHU's license of GLACIER Tax Prep is available FREE to NRA's associated with the university who need to prepare and file their annual federal income tax return. (GLACIER Tax Prep does not provide any state tax returns.)
GLACIER Tax Prep is specifically designed to help NRA's file a federal tax return so it is user friendly and generates the appropriate federal tax return for each NRA.
How to get started:
- Obtain an Access Code from the JHU Tax Office preferably by email request to Tax@jhu.edu with "GLACIER Tax Prep Access Code Request" as the specific subject.
- Follow the program instruction sheet you will receive with your access code.
- Collect all year end statements and last year's tax return (if any).
For example: W-2 and or 1042-S documents.
- Have your immigration documents available for reference.
For example: Visa certification documents and passport.
- Go to: https://www.glaciertax.com. Click on the words "GLACIER Tax Prep" or "Login" at the top of the page to enter.
- Enter all required and pertinent information as you receive the prompts from the software.
How to finish:
- Print all forms.
- Sign and date the tax return.
- Make a copy for your records.
- Attach copies of required year-end tax statements. (W-2 or 1042-S)
- Write a check for any tax due.
- Mail the completed federal tax return to the IRS address included in the instructions for the 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR.
*Please note: This software will not prepare a return for a Resident Alien.*
"The tax information on this website is provided purely as a courtesy to International Students and Scholars who have a current official connection with Johns Hopkins University ("JHU"). The tax preparation software is provided by a third party, does not constitute tax advice by JHU, and therefore, JHU disclaims all responsibility for the accuracy and reliability of the information. The JHU Tax Office does not provide tax advice or act as a tax consultant for individuals including International Students and Scholars. Rather, the function of the JHU Tax Office is tax reporting and compliance for the university as a corporation. Information regarding immigration, employment, and tax filing regulations are the responsibility of each International Student and Scholar who receives payment from JHU. JHU disclaims all liability arising from the use of information provided on this website."